Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sir, I Messed Up

I learned one of the biggest spiritual lessons in life from an Army Lieutenant Colonel. I don't know if he was even a Christian, and I have no idea if he realizes the value of what he taught me. I didn't even realize it myself, until quite some time later. In fact, I still seem to forget that valuable lesson all too often, and every time I do, it ends up costing me.

You see, I messed up. Nothing that would be criminal, at least, not outside the military, but a screw-up, none the less. I was in a fairly prestigious position. I was a member of a team, and I had a job to do. It was my responsibility, my assignment, and I forgot to do it. Because I forgot, my team had to delay their mission preparations. I can't even remember what the thing was (probably sending out a message of some sort or another), but I do remember getting summoned to my team chief's office. My team chief verbally reprimanded me, and I left, feeling low for letting my boss and my team down. I finished the task I had forgotten and went on to my other duties.

Later in the day, I had to see my team chief again, probably to get some paperwork signed or or an order approved, and that is when the lesson occurred. Still feeling remorseful about letting my team chief down, I brought up the task I had forgotten. "Didn't we already talk about this?" my team chief asked. "Yes, sir." I replied. "Did you fix it?" "Yes, sir." "Then what do you want to go back there for? Let's move on, okay?" I came to attention sharply and walked out, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders.

You see, that Army officer taught me a valuable lesson that day; two, in fact: The first is summed up in Hebrews 12:5-6: And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." As Christians, we are justified the moment we receive Christ as our Lord, but as humans, we all go through a process of becoming sanctified, that is: becoming more like Christ. That process starts the moment we are saved, and continues until the day we die. We screw up. It's inevitable. And as we screw up, the Lord calls us into His office and disciplines us. If He doesn't, something is wrong: If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. (Hebrews 12:8)

The second lesson is simply this: Once the Lord disciplines us, He moves on, and so should we:

For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him. (Psalm 103:11-13 (NASB))

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:12-14)

What the Colonel taught me is simply this: you mess up, you take your lumps, and you press on. If God has shown you your sin, and you've confessed it to Him and done your best to make it up to the people you've hurt, then it's time to turn your eyes forward and move on. You can't do anything for God if you insist on staying stuck in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment